My West End Bucket List

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Along with the rest of my family, I have been a pretty avid musical theatre fan for as long as I can remember. As well as going to see both touring productions and shows in the West End, from Matilda to Rocky Horror, I have also been involved in school and Am Dram productions which have been some of the best experiences of my life. However there are still plenty of shows that I haven't seen,  and there are a few current and future West End shows that are right at the top of my list to try and see this year. 


Les Miserables
I know, I know, what kind of musical theatre fan does it make me that I have never seen the stage version of Les Mis. Every year I say I'm going to see it but then never do, opting instead for newer shows. But it was recently announced that the show would be changing after its theatre has been refurbished, and they would be getting rid of the rotating stage. I'm now adamant that I will see this before it moves and changes later this year. 

Mamma Mia
Another theatre classic that I have never seen. The film of Mamma Mia is one of my favourite films ever and I saw the sequel in the cinema three times last summer, but for some reason I've never thought about going to see it in the theatre. But then one of my friends who is also a massive fan of the film went to see it last year and said it was such a fun experience so I'm now desperate to go and see it myself.

Wicked
Writing this list is making me feel like an absolute fraud of a theatre fan! Again, this one has been on the West End for years and years yet I've still never seen it. At this point it would be pretty much impossible for me to not have heard the music from this, although I've never actually listened to the entire soundtrack. But having listened to and loved songs like Popular and Defying Gravity for years, I feel like I need to finally see the show and understand the context behind them. 

Waitress
Not knowing much about it, when it was announced that Waitress would be coming to the West End I didn't really think anything of it; I'd heard good things about it but it wasn't at the top of my list. And then I heard 'She Used To Be Mine'. And I've had it on repeat ever since. I haven't listened to all the songs on the soundtrack because I don't want to spoil the whole plot for myself but I have loved every song that I have heard so far and I also just love Sara Barailles' music in general. I am so excited to hopefully see this soon and I cannot wait to be able to listen to the whole soundtrack!

Dear Evan Hansen
Another one making its West End debut this year, Dear Evan Hansen is a show I've been wanting to see since listening to the soundtrack for the first time around 2 years ago. With this one I have listened to the whole soundtrack (multiple times) as at the time I didn't know it was coming to the West End and didn't think I would ever be seeing it on Broadway (and still don't to be honest). I've heard so many things about how incredible and poignant this show is and love the prospect of being able to see it in person sometime soon. 

What shows are you wanting to see on the West End this year? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe