My Unpopular Christmas Opinions

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Seeing as I'm lucky if I write 24 posts in an entire year let alone one month, I am not even trying to attempt to do Blogmas this year; I never have and I probably never will. I am however loving reading everyone else's Christmassy content and I wanted to write at least one festive post during the season. 


Even though the vast majority of people in the UK celebrate Christmas, the way you choose to celebrate it is incredibly personal and can at times be pretty polarising. For a lot of people it's obviously about the religious aspects of the holiday, for others it may be about spending time with family and friends, or maybe its just all about the food and presents. But however you decide to celebrate of course you're going to believe that your way is the right way and everyone else is just wrong. From films to food, here are my unpopular opinions about celebrating the holidays. 

1. Elf isn't the greatest Christmas film of all time

Maybe it's just over-hyped or maybe it's just because I don't like Will Ferrel but in my opinion Elf isn't the best Christmas film and it isn't even on my favourites list. I feel like someone a couple of years ago said that they loved Elf and then the internet just ran with it and it was suddenly everyone's favourite but I watched it after not seeing it for years and it's really not that great. Again, it's probably just because I don't like the kind of comedy that's in Will Ferrel films, but give me The Holiday or Love Actually over that any day. 

2. Gingerbread and mince pies are gross

A very big part of probably everyone's Christmas is the food; from pigs in blankets to brandy flavoured everything, we eat a lot of great food that for some reason we don't let ourselves have at any other time of the year. But two of the most quintessentially Christmassy foods, gingerbread and mince pies, are, in my opinion, disgusting. Don't get me wrong, I love decorating a gingerbread house and eating all the sweets and icing but I hate the taste of ginger, and I don't like anything involving dried fruit so for me mince pies are just a waste of good pastry.

3. Yorkshire puddings don't belong in a Christmas dinner

Don't worry, I LOVE Yorkshire puddings. But in my opinion they belong with roast beef and not roast turkey. And, if I'm going to be having extra carbs with my Christmas dinner, I'm going to be having mountains of sage and onion stuffing and, more importantly, bread sauce. 

4. Unthemed trees are nicer than themed ones

There are definitely some beautiful themed Christmas trees out there but for me, I love the completely random collection of decorations we have on our tree. Not only do they look great once they're all together but they hold so many memories. We have decorations from places all over the world, from New York, Sorrento and, of course, the Disney parks. We have decorations that my mum sews every year with the date on. And we have slightly terrible, slightly falling apart decorations that me and my brother and sister made when we were little that we could never get rid of. I would much rather have those memories to look back on than making sure all my baubles are a particular shape and colour.

5. I don't understand the hype surrounding the John Lewis Christmas advert every year

This part of Christmas is a bit of a weird one for me. Most people would say that Christmas is so much more than gifts and consumerism yet at the same time it seems that Christmas doesn't officially start until the Christmas advert of a giant retail store has been released. Now I know that it's just a bit of fun and yes, these adverts can be very moving and beautiful but at the end of the day it is just an advert. And if we are talking about Christmas adverts I think that John Lewis have felt too much pressure in the past few years to come up with something spectacular and a lot of other companies have really stepped up their game and overtaken them. 

Do you agree with my opinions or will you be making sure you never get invited over to mine for Christmas? Let me know what your unpopular Christmas opinions are in the comments below!

Thanks for reading!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe