Uni accommodation room decorating tips!

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

For the majority of people, their first year at university is spent living in university owned student accommodation or 'halls'. I was lucky enough to be put into brand new accommodation, so I didn't need to cover up any peeling paint or try and mask any odd smells, but it still had that 'one room suits all' feel to it. The walls and furniture are plain white and the desk is dark brown, the only pop of colour being my desk chair and a disgusting orange notice board taking up a far too large section of wall. At the start of the year I was determined to make the room my own and I absolutely love how it's turned out, so here are my tips for making your uni room your own!


Put up posters

Posters are a great way of covering up large blank spaces on your walls and allow you to easily add your own personality to the room. My university had a huge poster sale during fresher's week (which is where I got my two from) where there were posters of everything from famous paintings to your favourite TV character. If you know a sale like this will be taking place near you then definitely take advantage of it, the poster above my bed has become one of my favourite parts of my room! 



Print off some of your favourite photos

This is such an important part of my room. It took me a while to order all of my photos and I really didn't feel like my room was complete until I had them up all over the walls (and it was a great way of covering up the gross notice board!) Although it's such an amazing experience, coming to university is also absolutely terrifying and moving away from your family and friends is definitely the hardest part. But seeing all of their faces on my walls is the best way for me to feel better if I'm not feeling well, or I'm stressed about my latest piece of coursework. Even though university is about looking forward to what will come in the future, it's great to be reminded of all the amazing times and experiences I've had already. 


Decorate with Washi Tape

I can guarantee that most of the people reading this won't even know what washi tape is, but I think it's invaluable when it comes to decorating your room! Washi tape is colourful and patterned reusable tape that can be used on pretty much any surface. I've used it in my room to add a splash of colour to my shelves but the possibilities are practically endless. The fact that it's reusable means it's great for decorating a room that you don't actually own; it's so easy to take off and won't leave any marks on your walls. (I have to admit that I've become a bit obsessed with the stuff and bought 8 different kinds of Christmas themed tape in December, so buy it with caution!)


Use a diffuser

I love scented candles and it makes me so sad that I can't have any at uni, but diffusers are a perfect substitute and much less hassle. Having a diffuser in your room will make it smell so fresh and clean whilst also masking any cooking smells from the kitchen just down the corridor. 

Bring sentimental items from home

This could be a vast array of things, but for me it's 2 toy giraffes that sit on my windowsill. Giraffes are my favourite animal and they were bought for me by my brother and Dad when we went to London Zoo in the summer. Not only do they make me smile but they remind me of my family and a lovely day we had together. I also have my Minnie and Mickey 'Tsum Tsums' on my shelf which I think are so cute and show off the Disney lover in me. 



Thanks for reading!

Amy xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe