Getting My Visa! | Working For The Mouse

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

So if you don't know, and by this point I'm pretty sure about 99% of the population do, I'm going to be doing the Walt Disney World cultural exchange program this summer. If you don't know what that is, basically I will spending 2 and a half months working in one of the restaurants at Disney World in Florida! Because I'm going to be working in America, I needed to go and get a visa, so I thought I would tell you about my experience of applying for and going to get my visa.


Before I could book my appointment, I needed to apply for my visa online. This was possibly the most stressful part of the whole process as I had to answer so many questions and fill in all of my details... I was so worried I would put something in wrong and mess it all up! You don't have to do the application all in one go, as long as you remember your application ID you can save it and finish it another time, so I completed mine over about 3 days. Once I'd finished filling in everything, the last step was to take a visa photo; this is basically the same rules as a passport photo except it has to be square. For this I just took a selfie in front of my white bedroom wall and used that! 

After I'd completed my application I could book my appointment at the US embassy. When you go to get your visa, you have to give them your passport as part of the process and it then gets sent back to you with your visa. Because i'm going away in April, I wanted to book my appointment as soon as possible to make sure I had my passport back in time so I actually booked it for just 2 days later. This was really simple to do and only took about 10 minutes. I then had to pay my SEVIS fee (I'm not entirely sure what this is, I just know I had to do it!) and I was all ready to go!

So the day of my visa appointment arrived and after an incredibly stressful morning in which my alarm didn't go off and my phone didn't charge, I got the 6:15 train into London in order to make my 8:30am time slot. I had so many documents with me and I was sure that I had left something incredibly important at home but it all went absolutely fine. When I got to Euston I met the girl who is hopefully going to be my roommate when we are in America and we got the tube over to the embassy together. She was so lovely and I cannot wait to spend my summer with her! 

We actually got to the embassy at about 8am but we had to queue outside for half an hour anyway, in which time they checked we had all the necessary documents with us and we went through security. Once we got inside we were given a little ticket and were told to wait until our number was called. This actually took way less time than we thought it would, and whilst we were waiting we realised the Warwick Davis was there getting a visa as well! After about 15 minutes my number was called and I went up to one of the booths. After giving them all of my documents and taking my fingerprints, I went through to another part of the building to have my 'interview'. This was a lot more informal than I thought it would be and only lasted about 5 minutes. I was asked what I would be doing in America and what my plans were for when I come back and that was it... I had a visa! They tell you at the end of your interview if you have been accepted or not and I had, so now I just need to wait for it to be sent back to me. We had heard loads of horror stories of people waiting in the embassy for hours so we were pretty surprised that within an hour and a half of arriving in London we had already finished!

I can't believe that tomorrow is only 100 days until I leave and now I have my visa everything seems so official and real! Before I went to get my visa I had no clue what it involved so I hope this was helpful to anyone currently getting a visa too!

Thanks for reading!

Amy xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe