Reflecting on International Women's Day

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Feminism: The advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes

There is no doubt in my mind that I am a feminist; as a woman I want to be able to do anything that a man can do, and not have my gender stop me from achieving my goals and dreams. No, I don't want to be better than a man, or have more opportunities than men, I just want equality (because that's literally the definition of feminism). Whilst it's clear that we have come a long way in the fight towards true gender equality, there's no denying that there is still so much further to go; there is still a gender pay gap, many women still don't have the right to free speech and men are still scrutinised for showing any kind of emotion. But, as important as these issues and many others are, I don't want to dwell on the negatives, but instead talk about all of the positives that have come from today. 

Today has shown me that there are so many women out there who want to celebrate and lift up other women without expecting anything in return. 

Today has reaffirmed my belief that feminist icons and role models come in all shapes and sizes, all races, all sexualities, all careers paths and all ages. 

Today has confirmed that it is so important to stand together with other women, instead of competing with one another.

Today has reiterated that there are thousands of women unapologetically doing what they love, running their own businesses, writing incredible blogs, being mothers and literally anything else you could think of.

Today I have learnt to never apologise for who I am and to never second guess my abilities or ideas.

Today has taught me that I can do anything I set my mind to, not in-spite of the fact that I am a woman, but BECAUSE I am a woman.

Source

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe